Networked Media

Post the Last - Final Project

Link: http://104.131.11.74:3004/

Slides

Wen I first started this project I wanted to build a little more on skills that I was unfamiliar with: server side programming and JSON. Building on it was a way to solidify the concepts that we'd learned in class. I also wanted to finally achieve something that I wanted to do since the beginning, which is to make a site mobile compatible. My background is purely mobile, so I wanted to be able to get something working on a phone. 

My inspiration for this project came from looking at some of the early blogging and fiction sites that still exist - Blogger, Fictionpress, and LiveJournal. Their design is severely outdated, and the mobile applications that exist (if they do have them) are also not great experiences. I wanted to build a simple prototype of a system along these lines that would take advantage of the advances in HTML/CSS to look cleaner. 

I was able to create prototype to perform the following tasks:

  • Write a story
  • See all stories posted
  • Search for a story (very early stages)
  • Tag a story

I wanted to be able to search by tags as well, but I couldn't get that to work and I would definitely like to get that figured out. 

I definitely want to flesh this prototype out more - I got stuck in a lot of places because I had some trouble debugging (thank you Shawn for pointing out that I can run my server through Node to do my debugging). I definitely prefer client side development but having the knowledge of both has been great in understanding how websites work. 

Halloween @ ITP

Link: http://104.131.11.74:3002/

I had plans to make the eyeballs roll on the martini glass and make bubbles come out of the beer, but that was reaching a bit far. i still have some issues with just centering my images, which might be due to how I sized my images in the first place. Hopefully I can iterate on this in the future as I get more JS practice in

Assignment 2 - Progress Update (Edited)

AssignmentCreate an animation using JavaScript and p5.js. Allow the user some ability to interact with the animation. Put it online with a simple HTTP server using Servi and link to it from your blog.

I'm making a basic memory game where the user matches cards. After some debugging, I finally got the random shape assignment working

I can assign strings to the grid successfully

I can assign strings to the grid successfully

Left to do: 

  • Hook up the 2D array of symbols to the grid of cards
  • Make the cards clickable
  • Logic to do match checking [in progress]
Current status: this GIF

Current status: this GIF

Edit (09/16): As of 11:18 PM I'm officially calling it - my code more or less works according to my debugging statements but I can't get the images to load correctly. 

Known Issues: 

  • Images for shapes won't load when I click on the card
  • Matching code not completely tested on account of the previous issue.

Code to go on GitHub shortly. You can find the assignment here

Edit (09/17, 8 AM): IT LIVES! Well okay no it doesn't live thankfully but I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK. 

Video in case it breaks in class

Demo of Memory Game

Oh thank EVERYTHING